Husum is the county seat of North Frisia in the north of Germany. It lies at the coast of the North Sea and has around 22.000 inhabitants.
Husum was first mentioned in 1252, but people lived here since the Stone Age. During the big storm tide in 1362, when the medival city of Rungholt sank in the sea, Husum gained access to the sea. It built a habour and soon became rich due to the trade. In 1603 Duke Johann Adolf of Schlewsig-Holstein-Gottorf granted the town privileges. After the Great Northern War in 1720 the dukedom of Schleswig became part of the Kingdom of Denmark. In 1864 Bismarck won the Second Schleswig War and Schleswig-Holstein became a Prussian province and had an economic revival. Especially the cattle trade grew to one of the biggest in northern Europe in the 19th century. During the Second World War the German Armed Forces were stationed in Husum. The Federal Armed Forces are still an inherent part of the town.
Tourism is also a very important part of the local economy. There are seven museums, a sociocultural centre and an exhibition hall with a modern congress centre. There are a total of 2.500 beds in hotels, holiday homes and a youth hostel as well as three camping sites. In 2012 the social income gained by tourism accounts for 15 %.
Renewable energy is highly visible in North Frisia, for example in form of photovoltaics or wind power stations. Companies operationg in all of Europe are based in Husum. Due to the trade fairs "New Energy" and "Husum Wind" all the experts meet in Husum on a regular basis.
Finally Husum is a popular shopping destination. In the centre there are little shops and a farmer's market. Ice cream parlours, cafés and restaurants offer a wide range of food. Looking over the harbour they are a great place to relax. Many specialised shops are located in the industrial park.
(German, English, Danish)